Unmarried Couples/Cohabitation

The fastest growing type of relationship in the UK today and yet many find themselves losing out when it comes to a breakdown.

There is no such thing as a “common law marriage” so there is no legal way of ending such a relationship; you can just go your separate ways. Disputes can arise regarding the home you shared, or other assets such as savings, and the future of your children.

We are experts in this potentially complicated area of the law. We can advise you on all aspects of cohabitation breakdown whether resolving a dispute or preparing for such a relationship with the drafting of a Cohabitation Agreement.

We can advise and assist in releasing your interest if you own a property jointly with someone else or a family member.

We can also help if you think you have an interest in someone else’s property if you live with them, even if you are not an owner.

Skip to content