Our Probate Services aim to take away the stress of dealing with someone’s affairs after they have died. There’s no need to wait until after the funeral to make the initial contact, and there may be advice or reassurance we can give you early on.
We can help you by:
- Advising and explaining the terms of the Will
- If there is no Will, we can advise on who will be entitled to inherit the estate
- Identifying and valuing assets in the estate
- Preparing a full account of the estate for HM Revenue and Customs
- Obtaining a grant of representation from the Probate Registry – this is the official authorisation for executors or administrators to deal with the estate
- Paying any taxes due
- Preparing accounts to show what the estate consists of and how it is to be divided up
- Distribution of property and money to the beneficiaries
Our service is flexible. Having discussed the options with you, we can do as much or as little of the task of sorting out the deceased’s property and affairs as you wish.
Our priority is always to complete matters without delay, so that property and money benefits those the deceased person intended as soon as possible.
Whether there is a Will or not, or tax to be paid or reclaimed, we will logically and efficiently administer the estate on your behalf and account for the proceeds.
We’ll provide you with a timescale for our work and make clear the key milestones in obtaining probate so that you know what to expect and when.
You will be assigned to a lawyer who will lead your case and be a single point of contact for you should any queries arise.
Our flexible Probate Service keeps you in control of decisions.
We will give you an estimate of our fees and other expenses before we start work, and if any extra costs may have to be incurred, we will ask you first.
The Probate Process
Receive date of death valuations
IF NO INHERITANCE TAX DUE
Complete probate form(s)
IF INHERITANCE TAX DUE
Complete inheritance tax forms
Send to HM Revenue & Customs
Pay some inheritance tax due
Sign Legal Statement
Grant of Probate Received
Bill for Work to Date
To be settled from Estate funds
Send Grant to all Asset Holders
Complete Sale of Property
Pay Debts in Estate
And Outstanding Inheritance Tax
Make Cash Legacy Distributions
And Interim Payments (if necessary)